Thursday, July 26, 2007

Celiac Update

Hi all! Just wanted to update on the Celiac (CD) and how we've been managing. I've been gluten-free (GF) for 10 days now! It's really not as hard as I thought it would be. We've (I've) been cooking a lot more, which is probably a good thing. Healthier and cheaper. I did get a chance to go out to eat at PF Chang's yesterday because they have a GF menu. It was very nice! And so were the 2 martinis I had ;)

The labels and ingredients are still kind of tricky, but once we figure out which brands are okay, it will be much easier. Unfortunately, I've come across a lot of items that are "manufactured in the same facility as wheat products" which seems like a CYA (cover your *butt*) statement to me. My dietician said I should avoid those products, but we did use some frozen veggies that said that and I was fine.

My appointment with my GI doc was Monday. He had my iron, vitamins B & D, and liver enzymes tested. The iron and vitamin B are low and the liver enzymes are still elevated but have come down (still waiting on the vitamin D results). I also have to have a bone density screening done (August 8th) and am taking Viactiv calcium chews. I can't believe I need all these supplements (iron, vitamins, and calcium). And would you believe my GI doc had the nerve to tell me I'm "undernourished" and need to gain weight? Oy. Believe me, I'm NOT undernourished...but secretly, I took it as a compliment after just having had a baby less than 3 months ago ;) Sick, I know.

Anyway, so that's that. I'm feeling better...it's NOT the end of the world like I once thought it was. We leave for vacation on Saturday morning (BEFORE the crack of dawn) and I'm hoping to manage okay while we're there. I'm sure there will be lots of cross-contamination glutening, but hopefully it won't make me *too* sick.

Thanks for all the kind words, well wishes, emails, phone calls, etc. You all are fantastic!

We'll update with pictures and stories when we get back! Take care!

No comments: